We all want more money right? Fab holidays? Family home? Great car?
If you’re reading this blog because you want to increase your sales, improve your marketing, get great lead magnets then you’re in the wrong place. There are loads of super articles out there with all those technical goodies, but I’m writing this for those of you who are tired, time poor, juggling too many balls and feel you’re constantly on catch up. Want a better lifestyle? Make an impact on your community? Serve your clients and yourself more productively? Then read on.
So, you may be asking yourself, what qualifications do I have that would make you believe anything I have to say? Seventeen years ago, I found myself in a position of being a single mum with a poor income of £6,000 per year. My financial advisor laughed when I told him I wanted to be retired by 55 in a house by the sea. Today, I sit writing this from the picturesque port town of Altea, Spain, having paid off my mortgage, put my boy through private school, driving a very nice Audi and totally rocking it with the man I have waited all my life for (I haven’t hit 50 yet) . All of this I achieved through...wait for it...my vision...my passion...my belief and my commitment and here’s how....
1. Setting your intention. Your purpose is an important aspect of being successful in your business. If you are not clear about what you want and how you are going to get it, then your client at some level will pick up on that too. Be clear about who you are in Pilates World. What your unique gifts are? What services you provide? Who your ideal clients are?
If you love to teach rehab but work with a mixed demographic then you’re not following your true self. It may bring in the pennies but the pounds will come from commitment to what you really want from your business life. Take a few moments every week, not to think about money but focus on your vision for your business and who you want to be within that business. Then keep that goal clear in your mind.
2. Get turned on. What excites you about teaching Pilates? Do more of it!! Many teachers I have known in the past thirty years, who are truly successful at what they do, have the same thing in common. They genuinely get turned on, excited and passionate about what they love and have found their niche area whether it is pregnancy, scoliosis or older pops. This rubs off onto their client base and into their community and they become known as the “go to” person for whatever it is that does it for them. It’s getting paid for what you do well and loving it!! Not sure what it is that sets you on fire? Ask your clients what they enjoy about your classes and why they come to you and most importantly why they stay. Notice what fires you up and what you have the most energy for. Then do more of it!!
3. Gratitude rocks. On New Year’s Day I write myself a letter that starts...
“Dear Rachel, what a great year you had. Look at all the amazing people you met, the things you achieved and how you developed spiritually and emotionally. Even though there were some episodes this year that totally sucked, boy, did you get great life lessons from those! Thank you! Thank you!! Thank you!!!”
I then go on to state everything I would like for this year. My hopes, my dreams, my aspirations, people I would like to meet who would help me personally and professionally and my objectives for my business. I hold nothing back, even down to how much I would like to earn. Research shows that you will have an increased chance of achieving your goals if you write them down. I then seal my letter and put it away BUT every day I practice the act of gratitude for even a small thing in my life. “Thank you for my health. Thank you for the people I love and who love me. Thank you for this delicious cortado. Thank you I am able to still do the work I love.”
This practice generates a momentum in its own right. This small discipline (and it is a discipline because we all have rubbish days) has many positive effects. Research shows that people who practice gratitude have more energy, sleep better, self reflect more easily, achieve their goals, have stronger immune systems and better interactions with people.
4. Find your tribe. Sometimes I see teachers who try too hard with their clients to get them to like them, to get them to stay. Don’t bother. Asking your client base to approve of you is asking for deficit in your energy bank. Your client base will stay with you because you are you. They admire your professionalism, your skill set and your value for money and your added extra value – whatever it is that makes you different from other teachers.
Trust that in yourself and you will see the profit in your bank, your energy and in your emotions. When you are true to yourself you can set healthier boundaries with your client, getting them to leave on time and not stay and talk for another 30 minutes of unpaid time for you. You will be able to say no to people and situations that take your energy. You will be able to inspire other people in finding their tribe and leading a healthier, happy life. Celebrate your uniqueness and your excellence with your tribe and they will be standing right there cheering you on because they get it. You get them, they get you, and it really is that simple.
5. Create a vision board. Take pictures from magazines, the internet anywhere and create a board of what you would like for your future. Put it somewhere you can see it and on a regular basis imagine how it would feel to live in that house, drive that car, go to that beach, run that retreat, wear those clothes, meet with that spiritual teacher, have a workshop with that Pilates Master, visit that country.
Imagine your emotions when you are experiencing these things and try to make them as real as possible. What it would look like? What you would smell and hear? How would you feel? Use positive affirmations to help you develop in the areas you know you need to. Allow yourself to grow and have a positive impact on other people’s lives you are in a privileged position to do so. Mental imagery develops confidence, motivation, self - effacy and primes you for success in all areas of your life.
P.S. Why the yacht picture? It’s my vision for 2019, I do live by the sea after all!!
© Rachel Rafiefar
All rights reserved